lunes, 11 de julio de 2011

Episode 9: It Says It All

Various types of flowers blossomed in their display, providing living color to the lackluster walls. Purple, red, pink, yellow, every different tone available to satisfy customers' needs. One of them, for instance, ordered a small bouquet of white lilies. The posy was clearly to be delivered to a sweetheart.


First thing her eyes saw when opening the door was a little arrangement of white buds being held by a golden-toothed cheery man, which made her feel guilty but still endeavoured to keep a mellow face. "Oh my God, how beautiful!" The deliverer simply smiled adoringly at the young woman's reaction. "Wanna come in?" "Need to ask?" She was glad for his visit, having not seen him in weeks since they were both engaged in their respective business. She especially had the urge to know of him, of changing gears after the tumultuous events taken place days ago. "Damon, you're an angel, you didn't have to buy me flowers." "I'd give you every single one in the face of the Earth if I could, you deserve them. Don't tell me they make you feel uncomfortable." "No, it's not that. It's just...I've never received flowers before." "Not once?" "Nope." "Lads in your town must be twats then." Melissa couldn't help giggle at Damon's accurate remark. He always had a way to make her feel better with herself, which she was grateful for. "So, how can I help you?" "In not much way, considering I came to see you after many days of absence. You have no idea how much I missed you." "Aww, I missed you too. Damn work." "Exactly. No complaints though, we're about to leave to America so that has me excited. By the way, everyone says hello and they miss you as well." "Hee hee, cuties, ditto to them." She set her gaze downwards, fighting her curiosity. Did he say something else apart from his greetings? Has he even spoken to his friend on the subject? "Are you okay?" She raised up her look to Damon's questioning expression. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why d'you ask?" "Just wondering why you kept silent for about half a minute." "Oh man, that long?" "Yes. Is something troubling you dearest?" "Oh no", she thought, "not that word, he used it with me." "Not really, it's just that work has been boring lately; lots of paperwork, you know", she answered. "Poor little darling, you must be tired of it all." He placed his palm over her worn face, caressing it tenderly to ease the fatigued features. "I can't complain either, thanks to it I get to go wherever I want to." Damon's eyes instantly lit up. "I have the perfect solution for you tiredness." "Which is?" "Come to America with me." "What?" "Yeah! Come to America in October. You'll have an entire month to rest." "Are you serious? I can't just stop going to work for a month." "Not if you tell them you have a sick relative with no one to help him, or her." "Well, the idea does sound tempting..." "But I don't wanna get near Paul!" she exclaimed inwardly. "Please come, Melissa, come with me. Please!" This last plead was made in the whiniest voice he could come up with that bass-like voice of his. She was touched by his boyish playfulness, reason why she said: "Alright, I'll go." He exhaled a loud yelp and rapidly bent forward to hug her. "I knew you'd say yes." "My guess is you actually came to invite me all along." "What the hell. Yes I did, but I needed you to give out a sign for me as an excuse." You naughty boy." His mischievious grin disappeared when he locked his lips to hers for a full kiss. Melissa had memories coming and going once more, recollections of that one his friend gave her unexpectedly, as well as that one she gave him impulsively. "You really are tired." "Huh?" Damon smiled at her understandingly and again caressed her face. "It's okay, I'm here to help you forget and relax." He kissed her for a second time, on this occasion dropping his hands to her waist, holding her top to lift it over her arms. That's exactly what she needed: to forget and relax. She took his shirt off, letting him do with her as he pleased as they proceeded to make love over the same couch on which Paul revealed his feelings just days past.


He saw them arrive at Heathrow holding hands, him beaming at her side and her doing the same but shyly. The slightest of pain entered his chest at the sight of them, rising as he observed him lean down to kiss his young companion. Has she already decided over him? He couldn't bare see her so happy with another man, and even worse: with one of his best mates. Enough reason to turn sideways and walk on, not wanting to see them in such intimate fashion. What he ignored was her sudden unwillingness to affectionate demonstration with Damon after months of it. "Dude wait, not here." "But why? Can't I kiss my beloved?" "I don't feel comfortable doing it in public." "You didn't give a fuck before." "Well I do now. I don't want the crew to start speculating." "So? Who cares what they think?" "I do, I don't wanna be called a slut behind my back for coming along with no special task whatsoever." "Yes, you do have one: to make my days merrier." A silent laugh came from her when meeting those turquoise eyes full of devotion. "This man loves me as well, it's so obvious", she inferred. "For that he deserves nothing but my loyalty." "Let's go Damon, we're being waited for." "Aye aye, captain." He put his arm over her shoulders as he kissed her forehead warmly while resuming their strolling.


Canada was the first stop of their journey, one country Melissa had never been to so she took full use of their brief stay to sightsee as much as possible. She was mostly on her own or with some of the musicians, the famous ones prefering to stay in whichever hotel they were at. Not being constantly at Damon's side was beneficial since she was able to come and go as she wished. Of course, time with him was valuable because of his amiable, outgoing personality. Days improved when they were together. However, she had been avoiding getting too intimate with him as of lately, although not entirely. There were still doubts, especially concerning the occured with Paul weeks ago. What had happened? Did she do it out of sympathy for his touching words? Or was there something else behind her sudden conduct?


Her concerns remained all the way to New York, where they arrived more than a week later. She looked forward to this visit not only for the prospect of seeing Gorillaz at Madison Square Garden, but also due to her encounter with her friend Joannie, who would come from New Jersey for the show and meet her beforehand. If there was someone who could be trusted it was her. She knew what occured in Melissa's personal life through their internet chats, and her wisdom would be of much help in this matter. At that moment she needed an external voice more than ever.


Thursday night would be a busy one since the band had a special one-hour television performance ahead which of course she would attend. So she took the afternoon to hit the streets by herself. There was a particular sight she needed to visit, one she had heard and seen pictures of. It wasn't a museum, neither a monument, but it well could be. There it was, that huge brickwall covered in several bright colors, all of them forming the most heartfelt tribute she had ever seen. A man with sunglasses and a black leather jacket looked out from the wall, the words THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN placed at the left. Melissa couldn't imagine the amount of people who have stopped by to pay their respects to this man who died too soon. He still had much to do, much to say to the world. It's a pity to have a fascinating life cut so short. All of these were her thoughts while staring at the mural. Too absorbed she was, surprise took over as she heard the voice she had been dreading for weeks. "Melissa?" She turned around and saw him there, standing about three feet away from her and looking as puzzled as she did. "Oh God, not you." He walked towards her but she stopped him curtly. "No, don't get close to me." "What? But we're alone dearest..." "Stop calling me like that, I'm not your dearest. Just 'cause we're alone doesn't mean you can take advantage of me." "Take advantage of you? I would never do that. I just wanna talk..." "Well now it's not the time. I gotta go now." His eyes were full of anxiousness, uncertain at what to do or say. "Can I walk you?" "No! I mean no thanks, I know the way back." And off she went the opposite way. In his lament he looked up to the mural and with melancholic tone expressed out loud: "She came to see you and I did the same. Was it you calling us purposely?"


The next day signalled Gorillaz's Madison Square Garden gig and Joannie's arrival to the city. Melissa received her excitedly after months of online talking. She was eager to do so in person to discuss their respective lives, as well as seek advice for the emotional struggle she faced. They spent the whole morning and part of the afternoon together having breakfast and visiting sights. For the main conversation, however, Melissa chose the privacy of her hotel bedroom. "Are you sure we can be here? Someone could hear us", warned Joannie. "Not a chance, no one's around, they're at soundcheck", was Melissa's reply. "So, remember what I told you about meeting Damon and his supossed flirty attempts on me?" "Yes, you mentioned them." "Okay, so back in June when we went to Glastonbury we got pretty close...as in REALLY close." "Oh that..." "And he's been really infatuated ever since: being super nice, spending extra time with me, he even threw me a birthday party, for God's sake." "He organized a party for you? That's lovely of him. But..." "But, here's the thing: even with all these actions and details, he hasn't said he loves me." "Maybe he's the kind of guy of few words but his actions speak millions." "Not really, he's usually very opinionated and outspoken. But again, his face literally lits up when he sees me and he may not say the words, but he has made merits to win me over." "Have you thought he adores you so much maybe you make him nervous with your presence?" "Maybe. I dunno." "What do you feel for him?" "I like him a lot, always did actually, when I was a mere fan. And he makes me feel I'm worth it, that I'm not a loser." "You're not a loser. Kudos to him for making you feel good about yourself. You haven't mentioned something though: that you love him. In fact, you look rather confused." "I haven't told you everything." "There's more?" "Lots more. See, I told you I met pretty much every musician involved in Gorillaz. Well, Damon's best friend in the band is interested in me as well. "Wait, you mean..." "Yes, Paul's into me." "What?! Paul Simonon? Come on Melissa, you gotta be kidding." "I'm serious Joannie. He said so about a month ago." "Ok hold on, you met him around the time you met Damon?" "I met them the same night. Apparently he's been in love with me ever since." "He told you?" "A month ago he went to my apartment and just poured his heart out. You should've seen him, just the way he was looking at me said it all. He's just...he's so sweet, such a dear friend of mine, an amazing guy all around..." "I was supposing as much. But I mean, in love with you?" "I know it sounds hard to believe but that's what he said, that he fell in love by knowing me from our conversations together. And he claims he likes my personality. My personality? Yeah, if you're into flustered girls." "Don't be too harsh on yourself, you're a very nice girl. If he's truly in love, as he claims, he may have seen it." That was the real issue: was it love? Maybe he's confused like herself, so was Melissa's thought. She was interrupted by Joannie, who stated an important truth: "I dunno. I mean for starters, he's old enough to be your dad, which already is quite disturbing." Tell me about it." "And secondly, maybe he feels attracted to you 'cause you're young and beautiful, and you know girls like you are every mature man's fantasy." "That's what I thought, that it was only an attraction. Until he started saying pretty much every single thing he likes about me and and how he ended loving me...and then I kissed him." "You what?" "I kissed him, totally out of the blue. His words touched me like no others I've heard and something in me made me do it." "Dear God. You know? I'm actually thinking you may be feeling the same for him." "What? No, I'm with Damon, I'd never be unfaithful to him after all he's done for me." "I understand but listen: your words deny it, but by the way you described Paul and by that look in your eyes, you say the contrary." Uncomfortable silence. Was that the reason for her impulsiveness? It made sense but... "Your silence gives away your feelings." "I..." "Admit it, you're in love with him." "I do admit I like him. I mean, when we were in Cannes there was a moment in which I wanted to sleep with him 'cause he looked especially gorgeous and he was being really kind to me..." "What woman doesn't wish that? Besides I didn't say like, I said love, and your body language is practically screaming this last one." "I dunno Joannie, I honestly don't think so." "Then why are your eyes saying the opposite?" "Come on, he would never see me that way." "Didn't you just tell me he declared his love openly awhile back?" "I still think he's confused." Such conversation stretched on for a considerable amount of time and little did Melissa know, she was actually being listened from outside by a flabbergasted eavesdropper.



No hay comentarios: